Select Page

Stybar confirms his QuickStep contract has not been renewed

Stybar confirms his QuickStep contract has not been renewed

Zdeněk Stybar will be leaving QuickStep in 2023 (Image credit: Getty) Zdeněk Stybar will not ride for QuickStep-AlphaVinyl in 2023 after the team declined to…

Tuesday, Aug 09

News

Zdeněk Stybar will be leaving QuickStep in 2023 (Image credit: Getty)

Zdeněk Stybar will not ride for QuickStep-AlphaVinyl in 2023 after the team declined to offer him a new contract. The Czech revealed his contract status after finishing second to Victor Campenaerts at the Tour of Leuven on Sunday.

"I’ve been told that I’m not going to be re-signed," Štybar told Het Nieuwsblad . "I still want to keep racing in any case, because the last two years haven’t been good enough. Is there any interest? That’s a question mark, given my age and the health problems I’ve had."

The 36-year-old has raced for QuickStep since 2011, winning Strade Bianche, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and E3 Harelbeke during his tenure on the team. He also placed second at Paris-Roubaix in 2015 and 2017.

Štybar has been blighted by health issues in recent seasons. He underwent a cardiac ablation procedure in April of last year after he was diagnosed with heart arrhythmia, while his 2022 Classics campaign was ruined by illness.

Stybar ruled out of Tour of Flanders after undergoing cardiac ablation procedure Stybar extends with Deceuninck-QuickStep Stybar ‘going into the unknown’ at Opening Weekend Cycling transfers – All the latest news and rumours for the 2023 season

"The past two seasons were a string of setbacks: illness, COVID-19… Take this year: the first three days of Paris-Nice were good, and I thought I was on the way to a good Spring. But then I got sick and never really got back in […]

Share This