Select Page

Kamloops council to consider new cycling overpass near TRU

Kamloops council to consider new cycling overpass near TRU

Thompson Rivers University students could get a safer crossing to campus for cyclists and pedestrians by 2026. The City of Kamloops may look to the…

Saturday, Mar 26

News

Thompson Rivers University students could get a safer crossing to campus for cyclists and pedestrians by 2026.

The City of Kamloops may look to the province to help fund an overpass that would span Summit Drive and connect the university campus to Dalgeish Drive.

The link would allow pedestrians and cyclists coming from downtown and campus housing near Dalgeish Drive a safer route to the main university campus over one of the busiest city arteries.

The project would cost $10 million, but on Tuesday, March 29, council will decide on whether to apply for a $6 million grant from the province to fund the bulk of the project. If approved, the provincial active transportation grant will pay for 60% of the project, while the city and TRU would split the remaining 40%, according to a city report. Along with the overpass, the city will also discuss applying for the province to fund a multi-use path along Summit Drive.

The $6 million plan could include a three to four metre path that would extend from Fernie to McGill roads, allowing cyclists and pedestrians coming from the West End to connect to TRU rather than travelling from the bottom of Summit Drive.

If approved by the province, the grant would fund $3.6 million of the project and the city would take on the remaining $2.4 million through its Active Transportation Fund.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Levi Landry or call 250-819-3723 or email the editor . You can also submit photos, videos or news […]

Share This